Wednesday, June 17, 2015

SPLASH Prayground

The first time I explained my idea of a special area dedicated to children in the sanctuary, I got a pretty quick no.  Not being one to give up, I brought the idea up a time or two more.  When I saw a Facebook post from Grace Lutheran Church in Apple Valley, Minnesota doing something similar, I re-posted it and tagged my coworkers.  My re-post got some attention, including attention from our senior pastor.  That same week he was in the area of Grace Lutheran and stopped by.  He came back and gave me the green light to give our own Prayground a go over the summer.  The next day he even brought a table and chair set from his home to loan to the cause.

We have had a lot of positive feedback about our Prayground and love to see it being used by children of all ages.  It currently includes puzzles, children's Bibles and books, crayons and activity sheets, small stuff animals, and a child-size wooden cross. 

The challenge is how to keep the area fresh so children continue engaging while also intentionally choosing materials that lend themselves to be used in meaningful ways.  The last thing I want to do is fill the space with quiet, keep busy materials that have nothing to do with worship.  I want this worship space to be part of the greater worship happening all around it; not separate.  Suggestions, questions, input welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment