Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Psalm 23

Clearly we have gotten full swing into fall and the programming year, and clearly, I have not kept up my end of the bargain to blog and chronicle my creativity regularly.  Oops.  It's a good thing I'm big on grace.  ;)

But in all seriousness, I do want to do better at keeping up on this.  That is why I have wrote one of my learning goals in regards to my blog for my Christian Public Leadership course that I am taking.  It is my goal to blog at least three times each month.  And seeing as October is nearly over, I better get busy!

We started our Sunday School year on September 27th and our elementary kiddos had Psalm 23 for their first rotation.  Our theme for the whole SS year is "Light!" and with that in mind, my uber creative sidekick, Lisa, did a super fun opening idea that I feel is worth sharing.

Our opening began in the dark as we talked about how David would have spent a lot of time in the dark while he cared for the sheep.  He may have even done a lot of his thinking and Psalm writing in the dark.  We read through the Psalm, already written out on sheets of construction paper, line by line.  We then spread the children out in small groups with one of the sheets to work on illustrating a verse of the Psalm in the dark.  After letting them struggle for a bit, we offered light, in the form of a single glow stick.  The glow stick did help some, but the task was still a challenge.  We then gathered all the glowsticks (plus a few more) and said that God gives each of us a light to shine, and that by itself is pretty cool, but when we bring those lights together, look how much brighter they become.   That is why God gives us our church family.  When we come and share in our church community for worship, learning and serving, our lights shine brighter together. 

Here are some of the illustrations our kiddos did partnered with some fuzzy little sheep from our art rotation. 




No comments:

Post a Comment